Pages

Thursday 11 May 2017

Where have I been?

Like in regular life, time often gets away from us! These past two months have flown by, we are already in May! I didn't even realize that I hadn't posted a blog since March! As of today I only have 41 days until I go home! Honestly this experience is really zooming past and I want to make sure I make the most of it. So heres a small update on my life;

Where have I been in the last 2 months?
   My last blog was posted March, 4th 2017. What have I been doing since then? Well March 11-18 my brother and his wife actually came to Spain during March break to visit me! It was a great being about to spend some quality time with them. Though my brother and me are 12 years apart we have always been a weird kinda close and I also love spending time with him. (Plus it was very nice to have a piece of home! Getting to show him where I had been living, they got to meet my host family and overall I loved sharing my new life with them.) The rest of March quickly filled up with plans with friends from school, church activities and things with my host family. 
   Going into April, during Semana Santa (AKA holy week, or easter) my host family and I, all traveled 7 hours (in a car with no air conditioning) to Cadiz a city in the south of Spain located on the beach. It was an amazing week away getting to spend more time with my host family and really growing closer to them. Plus the beach was nice! 
   After that week Vicky Landis, the "director" of STEP in the USA came for her "check up" visit. (I don't know if director is the right word for her job, but pretty much she's in charge of us and did all our pre-Spain training.) That week was full with activities together and meetings. We even did the Madrid 10km together!
   After Vicky left we had a few days before the "Encuentro Menonita Espanol" which was a retreat weekend with a lot of the evangelical churches throughout Spain. The weekend was filled with getting to know people from other churches throughout Spain, having bonding time with the people from our own churches and most importantly hearing from God.
   All that to say, that's where I have been, what I've been busy with and how all these big plans and small plans added up to two months.

What has God been doing since my last blog?
Since my last blog God has been really working in my life. To others it may seem like nothing but He is teaching me to be patience and not to rely on myself. He's teaching me to look past what I would think are peoples "flaws" and see them for who He created them to be. And He's teaching me that somethings things are not easy, that sometimes people won't see eye to eye, or that situations won't play out exactly how you expected but he has a plan in all that.

Whats new in my life in general?
Well as of the first week in May I officially live alone! On May 3rd I said 'goodbye' to my host family and made a change into a new living situation. Not that my host family wanted me to leave, nor did I want to, but a decision was made that part of this program was for me to be stretched. Apparently living with a family I had grow very close too wasn't "stretching enough." Now I have been on my own for two weeks and I can honestly say I enjoy it. Yes, I miss the company of others, but it allows me to have space of my own to relax, unwind and really focus on God. Being on my own has also forced me out of my bubble to start doing more activities in the evenings and choosing to leave my apartment more. I also have been able to ignite my love for cooking and baking. At home in Canada I would love whipping together some muffins or something to eat (well if Mom would let me mess up her kitchen, for those who know my Mom know that her kitchen is her special space and she doesn't share it easily) But since I live alone I can make all the mess I want! Only downside is, well... I live alone, so I also have to clean up whatever big mess I make. All in all the change has been positive and though I don't live with my host family anymore I still have regular contact with them!

I praise God in all this change and learning because I know He has an amazing plan for my life. I know that He is using all these experiences and changes to mold me into who He wants me to be, and where He wants me to be next! Which is another blog entirely in itself so stay tuned! 




No comments:

Post a Comment