Pages

Sunday 29 January 2017

An Unorganized Schedule

I love my agenda, and I seriously mean LOVE. I always have loved planning, loved seeing my day get filled in with activities and loved tracking everything I do. The truth is I just love having a schedule and knowing what to expect each day. As you may guess moving overseas, with out a clear schedule of what my daily life would look like, sent me into a somewhat panic. Now that I have almost been in Spain for 1 month I can see how God is using a somewhat unorganized schedule to help me draw closer to Him and rely on His plans.

Host Families & Door Handles When I left for Spain on January 9th, I left without having a host family to move in with. When I arrived, where I would be staying was still up in the air. For the first two nights I had the opportunity to stay with a young family from the church, I then was moved to the pastors house for a few days, and it wasn't until a week after arriving in Spain that I had found a host family. 

The first week was full of learning 3 different bus times to get to places, it was filled with digging through my suit case everyday trying to find where my mom had cleavery packed everything. (Even now that I've unpacked I haven't found teabags, even though she swears she packed them... I'm pretty sure she never did.) And for a added bonus door handles in Spain are a lot different than in Canada. In both my temporary host homes it took me minimum 20 minutes and a lot of tears before I could finally get into the house. Overall my first week was unorganized, unfamiliar and not anything what I expected. 

In this first week of not having a host family, I had never felt so jealous of what someone else had. The other girl on our team had been placed right away with her host family, she was becoming part of the family, while I was spending a lot of time alone. Everyday in our orientation class when I saw her, she would talk more and more about how great her family was, meanwhile I got greener and greener with envy. I didn't understand why she had the perfect family while I was left all by myself. Every night I was arriving to my temporary host home feeling sad, cold and very alone. In this first week God really showed me how this experience was not going to be easy, nor was it going to be comfortable, and if I was going to make it through I had to really rely on Him, and on His timing. 

During that first week little did I know God did not only have a host family in mind for me, but had made them the perfect match for me. And exactly one week after arriving in Spain, I was moving into my new home, I was unpacking my things, and I finally felt "at home" in my new country.

God Knows
When I was deciding a year ago what I should do after high school I felt God's clear calling to come to Spain. Though this entire process God knew my every need and supplied more than I could ever imagine. Now that I have been in Spain for almost a month I can see how God's timing with my host family was the perfect timing. That in that first week it caused me to really fall on Him, and trust He knew better than I did. At the end of the day God knows us better than we think we know ourselves, and I'm really learning that though sometimes things seem difficult and unreachable, but God is there and he will carry us through. 




"In him we were chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his 
will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory" 
Ephesians 1:11-12







No comments:

Post a Comment