Pages

Sunday 5 February 2017

It's the little things in life

This past week has been pretty busy for me, between language school, meetings, going out with friends, mentoring and activities with my host family my schedule has been packed full! Even though this week was so busy there was multiple times God really supplied exactly what I needed. These are the experiences that really spoke to me, and encouraged my week and I thought I would share them with you!

The Gym was my Home
Many of you may know that in Canada I worked at one of the largest gyms in the country. I LOVED what I did, getting to interact with members everyday, having amazing co-workers, and overall enjoying what I did. Not only did I love working at a gym, but I also loved working on my own personal fitness, this was not only something I found pleasurable, but it also helped me deal with the stress and anxiety in my life. Since arriving in Spain I have got the opportunity to join a gym near my house. This past week was my second week attending this gym location and while walking in I was greeted by the front desk worker (as normal) and with my limited Spanish I said "Hola" while walking in. On my way out the gym the guy at the front desk said "bye" to me, this kinda stopped me in my tracks, I was thinking "did he actually say bye in english or am I hearing things," he continued to ask "where are you from?" Apparently he had heard me on the phone one day speaking english, and had been seeing me around often and has wanted to know where I was from. We continued to chat about Canada, and how he knew english, and before leaving we exchanged names. Since that conversation every time we are both in the gym we say "hi" to each other, and have a small conversation. 
I was him in Canada, I worked his front desk position, and I know how much I enjoyed having genuine relationships with my members. I know that when members came in and you knew their name they were often surprised but felt important. But I also knew how much it meant to me when the member knew my name as well, and wanted to have a conversation with me. 
All that to say, this new interaction has meant so much more to me then he probably realizes. Being able to communicate and have a friendship in a place where I feel the most like I'm at home, completely brightens my day. I now look forward to going into the gym each day, knowing that there is someone I can have a small conversation with when I arrive.

Lost Metro cards
Friday was kinda a crazy day in the Metro for me, not only was it packed full and I mean packed! You couldn't move, but while trying to put my metro card into my bag, I must have missed. When I got to class and realized my card wasn't in my bag it was already too late to go looking for it. So I sent a message to our team leaders wondering what I should do, since in order to get home I had to take a bus and a metro. Their response was to go in with my passport (which is necessary for government documents) and get a new card made, only problem was, I didn't have my physical passport on me, only a photocopy. Their next idea was still for me to go in and in my broken Spanish tell them I lost my card and hope that they took pity on me. So thats what I did, shooting a quick prayer I approached the front desk apologizing but I only spoke a little Spanish and saying that I lost my card. The lady responded in English, apologizing that she only spoke a little English but could help me with only a photocopy. This was honestly such a "praise the lord" moment for me. Not only was I able to get my old card canceled but also was able to get a new card made, without any problems.  

Facebook Messages
This week I received a Facebook message from a old camp consular saying they read my blog and had found it "encouraging" and "exactly what they needed to hear." When I started this blog I wanted it to not only help me track of this journey,  but I prayed that it would somehow speak into the lives of others. Receiving this message not only encouraged me to continue to write but reminded me how God uses other peoples experiences to speak into the lives of other people. 

Parcels
To end this week off strong I received a parcel from home. My mom never fails to amaze me with the little things she does. Inside was my requested "Nature Valley, Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola Bars." Unlike North America, Spaniards aren't obsessed with all things peanut butter, this was leaving quite a large void in my life here. It also had needed hand sanitizer, I don't want to say I'm a germaphobe, but being in the city and using public transit definitely makes me feel a little gross, and by a little I mean a lot. The rest of the package had my favourite heart gummies from bulk barn that you can only get around valentines day. (There's only 12 so I really have to savour them.) A lovely note from my dad, and some kleenex with a little note that says "for when you are feeling a wee bit sad... you are not forgotten <3" I never knew how much  these few small things could really pick my spirits up, sometimes you really just need a bit of home to feel more comfortable in a new situation. 


Overall, this week has been a week of encouragement and blessing, thus ending my first official month living in Spain. I am constantly amazed of how God steps into my life and supplies exactly what I need, exactly when I need it. It's all these little things that add up to one big God that loves me more than I can ever imagine. 



"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
Matthew 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment